Hello everyone hope your all well, today I will be writing about some ways you can combat travel sickness. I have suffered with this my whole life and still do today now short distances are fine but if they are longer than a couple of miles then it becomes a problem and buses are just the worse.But over the 20 years of having it I’ve been able to find some ways to help it, so I thought I would share them with you, so here they are.
- Mints or hard boiled sweets– Now this one really helps, I love to suck on a mint or sweet whilst on a long car journey,and I found it really helps, it’s because mint naturally soothes the stomach and helps ease nausea.
- Water– This one may be self explanatory but I always try to have a bottle of water with me on any journey, since you can take slow sips and this normally cures my nausea straight away.
- Anti travel sickness medication– This isn’t the best one out there since some on the tablets used to make me feel sick before we even got going, as you had to chew them and they tasted disgusting. However last year I tried some kwells anti sickness tablets and they really worked, you had the choice to swallow or chew, so no more nasty taste.
- Distraction– Now this one may or may not work as it depends on what distraction it is but I like to listen to music with my headphones on or an audio book, but only use headphones as a passenger, but try and avoid looking down, this can cause more severe nausea and has been my down fall many times.
- Ginger biscuits– This one may sound slightly odd, and probably isn’t going to be great if you don’t like the taste of ginger, but ginger is proven to reduce the feeling of nausea in a person and therefore I sometimes like to bring a few with me in a bag just in case, plus I’ve been a life saver a number of times since my little sisters and mum all suffer from travel sickness so it’s been Hannah to the rescue on a number of occasions.
- Deep breaths– An Oldie but goodie one here but it actually works open a window of the car and just take nice long deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth.
- Anti sickness wristbands- I used to use these when I was younger they are great for kids, they are a band with a little smooth ball on and you wear them on the wrist and they press a pressure point in your wrists that cures sickness, now I’m sure they may not work on everybody but they used to work on me, and not just motion sickness but for any when else you get nausea.
- Sleep– Now if you suffer with motion sickness severely like I did then you may want to think about getting l some sleep whilst on a journey instead of fighting the need to fall asleep as I used to on long journey, this just for passengers only though so no falling asleep at the wheel.
So these was some ways you can combat the dreaded travel sickness, these are some of the ways that works on me and my travel sickness, but if you have anymore let me know in the comments, I hope you found this useful and don’t forget to like and share.
Recently I’ve been a bit under the weather and just been spending the majority of my time staying in bed and resting so today I will be sharing all of my essentials for a sick day.
- Plenty of fluids- Now when I’m ill my appatite gets thrown right off, I don’t feel like eating anything at all not even my favourite foods. But I do however get extremely thirsty all the time and nothing seems to quench my thirst, so plenty of fluids is essential to me getting better. When I’m especially sick I love a nice ice cold glass of some fruit squash my favourite is blackcurrent Ribena.
- My bed and tons of blankets- When I get ill I normally feel the cold so much that I start shivering so blankets is a must. Also when I’m ill I don’t feel like doing anything at all including getting out of bed.
- Access to You tube- This one is something I need to have since It does get quite boring just being in bed all day , however you really do want to keep the videos quite relaxing, my favourites to watch is Zoella, The Pointless Blog, KEEMi, Good mythical Morning, Shane Dawson and more.
- Netflix- This is like you tube with the fact that it can get boring doing nothing all day so I normally watch a film on there, or even a few episodes of a tv show my favourite at the moment is Gotham whilst I’m waiting for walking dead to start again.
- Medication- Now this is one thsat you need plenty of when sick, depending on what is wrong depends on what medication you need, now I’m no doctor so I cant give you the best medication advice, but what I take when I’m feeling ill is 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours, and it normally clears everything up in a couple of days, I also take a tonic for after I’m sick to get me back to my normal self, I normally get the metatone tonic which they sell in Boots or Superdrug stores.
- Warming comfort foods- This is a must since even though you may not feel like eating anything you need to have something to keep your energy levels up so you can start getting better so I like too have things that are log and easy to eat, such as soups, noodles, jelly, ice cream, beans on toast etc. My favourite soups are spicy tomato, oxtail, chicken noodle and my own chunky spicy leek and potato soup, which the recipe is in a post but I have linked the post.
- Hot bath- This one always makes me feel at least a little bit better I like a nice Hot bath with steam to clear everything, I like to use a relaxing bath bomb such as the Ickle baby bot bath bomb from lush, I will also add some bubbles by using either the relaxing bubble bath from Radox or the Milky bath bubble bar from lush. I will sometimes add some candles to the side of the bath and listen to some relaxing music from a playlist on Spotify.
- Soft tissues- This is pretty self explanatory since if you are having a runny nose as a symptom of your illness then you will pretty much need some tissues but I like to get the Kleenex brand especially the ultra soft ones since there is nothing worse than a sore nose.
- Phone- I think is one of the main ones since you can do so much on it, from playing games, to searching the Internet, watching YouTube or Netflix, listening to music and going on social media this is the ultimate thing you need for entertainment, but I do suggest not looking up your symptoms as you may freak out and think that you are dying.
So these was some of my sick day essentials, now a little disclaimer this is in my own opinion and what I use and do when I am ill, I’am in no way a doctor or health care professional as this may not work for everyone and I’am not held responsible if it does not work.
Any way I hope you found this useful, I will link the places mentioned down below.
Featured image made using canva app.