Hi everybody I’m finally back with another post, the reason I haven’t posted in a while is because I’ve taken some time away from most social media over the past couple of weeks since I have been very busy with my birthday and then also super busy with work since I’ve been doing extra hours etc. So anyway I’m back with my chicken, leek and white wine pie recipe now this is one I made from scratch except from the pastry, now I served mine with mashed potatoes and some mixed steamed vegetables, so I hope you enjoy this recipe.
2 tablespoons butter
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast.
2 cups Chicken stock
2 medium leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 ½ tablespoons flour
1 glass white wine
1 ¼ cups milk
1 lb puff pastry ( I used ready rolled from the shop)
1 egg ( for egg wash on pastry)
- In a large pan poach chicken until cooked all the way through in some chicken stock, carrots, leeks, thyme and salt & pepper.
- Once poached remove chicken and veg through a sieve and keep chicken stock in a separate jug.
- Tear chicken in to pieces with two forks.
- Add butter and flour into pan and keep on stiring whilst that turns into paste, keep on adding the chicken stock bits at a time until you get to a smooth custard like consistency.
- Once the roux has finished take off heat and keep to the side.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back into heat and add in white wine and milk and keep stiring keeping an eye that it doesn’t burn to bottom of pan, then add in the roux sauce made before and simmer until mixture thickens, stirring often.
- Once this is simmering roll out the pastry and cut out enough pastry to cover top of dish, it doesn’t need to be perfect at this stage as we will trim later.
- Once your chicken mixture has thickened up, leave to cool slightly since putting pastry on top of it whilst it is still hot will cause the butter in the pastry to melt and it will become soggy.
- Once cooled add mixture to dish about 3/4 of the way, then add pastry on top, trim up the edges of your pie using a knife.
- Place in oven at 200°c, gas mark 6 just until the top of pasty has gone golden brown, mine took around 15-20 minutes, but this may differ on other ovens.
- Once golden brown take out of oven and enjoy with some mashed potatoes and vegetables on the side.
So this was my recipe for my homemade chicken, leek and white wine pie, I hope you found this useful, thank you very much for reading.